Position: Organic Farm Worker
Hourly Wage $15/hr. (plus picking bonus for strawberry picking)
Location: At Fair Fields, near Neustadt, Grey County
Duration and Schedule: This position starts in early May and runs through August. It will average 40 hrs./week, with slightly shorter weeks in the beginning and end, and slightly longer weeks during strawberry season.
Vacation and time-off: One week vacation will be provided during this time (unpaid). It can be taken all at once or as individual days, anytime during the duration of the position, with the exception of the 3 weeks of peak strawberry production.
Eligibility: In order to offer this position, we are seeking funding through the Canada Summer Jobs Program. To be eligible for this program applicants must:
- Be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of employment:
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred; and,
- Have a valid Social Insurance Number and be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Plant, weed, fertilize, mulch, irrigate and harvest asparagus, rhubarb, strawberries and sweet corn
- Seed and maintain corn transplants in greenhouse
- Help with construction projects, including a walk-in cooler and ongoing barn renovations
- Maintain and mow under deer/racoon fencing
- Secure and move silage tarps and landscape fabric
- Supervise strawberry u-pick
- Make hay and straw
- Plant and maintain cover crops
- Contribute to content and post material to social media and our website
- Supervise volunteer labour and work independently and as part of a team.
This is an inclusive and welcoming workspace and we don’t tolerate harassment or discrimination at Fair Fields. To read about our hiring and management policies follow this link.
Health and safety are very important to us. We providing basic first aid supplies, personal protective equipment and equipment training, and encourage staff and volunteers to alert us to potential workplace hazards as well as specific personal health and safety needs.